August 2017 Archive

The University of Virginia Collection on the Events of August 11-13, 2017 in Charlottesville, VA

Mass Prayer Service at St. Paul's Memorial Church

Dublin Core

Title

Creator

John Hermsmeier

Date

2017-08-11

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/

Spatial Coverage

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

While respecting multiple approaches to the events of this summer, from staying home to directly counter-protesting, I chose the path of attending "alternative" gatherings aimed at peace and community. During the KKK rally, I attended a NAACP meeting. I also went to Ix Art Park and met some great folks from the Human Rights Commission. The closest I got to the "action," without intent, was attending the Mass Prayer Service at St. Paul's Memorial Church, where many current and deceased friends and acquaintances who served and serve the greater community have been and are members.

The main driver in my attending the service was the presence of Dr. Cornel West, who I respect and wanted to hear, in part because of his work with Tavis Smiley and others to push President Obama toward a more positively aggressive agenda. It was an honor to hear his words and those of all the other speakers, and to sing with them and rejoice with them, both religiously and non-religiously, as an affirmative (pre-) antidote to what was slated to occur in our community. I not only was able to shake Dr. West's hand after the service, but also share a big bear hug with him. It was a jubilant moment.

Seconds later, a person came to the microphone and gave those of us remaining clear instructions as to how to leave the building, such as use this door not that one, and go right not left. It was eerie, and I suddenly reflected on the historical events where folks, even in churches, were hatefully attacked. I quietly walked out to my van, which was the only vehicle left on the street, gave it a look over, and drove home, not knowing what was occurring a block away at UVA's Rotunda and Lawn (I, my wife, and all three of our children attended the University, so this is personal).

As I do not have a cell phone, my wife was horrified by news accounts and very glad to see me arrive home. I was shocked by the footage of the torch-bearing haters yelling things such as "Jews will not replace us!" (why on Earth would they want to?) I was equally pleased by the crowd that came out afterward to reclaim the Rotunda and Lawn with songs of unity. I saw this beautiful event on television, and soon after took my own walk down the Rotunda steps and across the Lawn, as I had as a graduate in 1985, to reclaim this space and the good things that it stands for in person.

Citation

John Hermsmeier, “Mass Prayer Service at St. Paul's Memorial Church,” August 2017 Archive, accessed May 20, 2024, https://august2017.lib.virginia.edu/items/show/123.